Jay Z Teams With Barneys For The Holidays (DETAILS)
After talks with Saks collapsed earlier this year hip-hop mogul Jay Z turned to rival Barneys. Come November 20, we’ll see and experience curated store displays and sartorial offerings in a project called called ‘A New York Holiday’.
Like the Gaga Workshops of last year, the project’s shop-in-shops, titled BNY SCC Gallery (which stands for Barneys New York, Shawn Corey Carter) will pop up in the luxury store’s outposts in Manhattan, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago.
Designers Hov worked with include Alexander Wang of Balenciaga (to create a minimalist, black leather backpack) and Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler who will offer their first ever men’s bag.
“If you close your eyes and think about who best represents New York and stands for the city, you can’t help but think about Shawn Carter,” explained Barneys CEO Mark Lee.
The project will launch on November 20, with the Madison Avenue branch hosting a 1,500 sq ft gallery, but if you can’t make it to NYC for a Christmas shopping trip, a limited quantity of pieces will be available on Barneys.com.
Twenty-five percent of all sales will benefit the Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation.
A sampling of what’ll be for sale:
• A black leather backpack by Alexander Wang for Balenciaga
• A men’s raincoat with gold snap buttons by Stockholm-based designer Alexander Stutterheim ($675)
• A cashmere blanket by the Elder Statesman
• An 18-karat-gold double ring by Hoorsenbuhs
• A men’s bag by Proenza Schouler
• A Shawn Carter by Hublot watch with black alligator straps ($33,900), also available in polished black ceramic ($17,900)
• Or, on the cheaper end, a Barneys cotton T-shirt ($70)